June 23, 2011

Virtual As Real Community


Rob: "Wanna be my sister?"

Me: "Yeah, sure, if you'll be my brother."

Rob: "Okay, it's done then."

Me: "Works for me."


This conversation happened on Twitter and although we have been known to joke around about, well, everything, we were completely serious about becoming siblings.

It's mind boggling to me that I've known about The Virtual Abbey for only a year. God knew long before I did how I'd need the love and support of a spiritual family and has given me more than I could have imagined.

The line between virtual and reality is blurry at best in my mind. Many I only "know" online occupy an important part of my life. Many have slowly seeped from twitter stream, to phone calls, to prayer list and some to IRL (in real life) visits. They're the people who know first and care the most.

This reality came to an even brighter light last month when a difficult situation landed in my life. Mentioned on Twitter and moments later e-mail, tweets, Facebook posts, phone calls, texts, prayers, and genuine love flooded in faster than I could respond.

So, this community is virtual in that it happens online most of the time. But the prayers are real, the people are real, and to me, the community is real.

We all have two families – the one we're born with and the one we choose. I'll be forever grateful God gave this one to me.


3 comments:

Fran said...

Thanks for sharing this - I could not agree more.

I have been privileged to pray for and with so many - and I can't begin to tell you how many people have prayed for me.

As for relationship - different things are happening out here. I am now praying for Goran and Kirstin, both of whom are dying. I've never met either, but we have blogged, Facebooked and "talked" to one another for 4 years. I watched and wept as Roseann died, Lee and others. That I never met them, well that doesn't matter.

And I have been blessed to meet so many friends from blogs and FB.

God weaves us together, thanks be to God.

Sx3inSC said...

Amen. I feel the same way..Thanks be to God!

Sue said...

Brenda and Rob, Growing up as an "only" child (although my youngest maternal aunt's kids are my surrogate sisters from living at their house each summer...), I feel privileged to have sisters and brothers in my fellow Abbey members!