January 17, 2011

Christ Has No Online Presence but Yours

During December 2010, I was invited by marketing folks at Loyola Press to talk with them about why, when and how to use social media. It should come as no surprise that I talked about what our Virtual Abbey has been doing via Twitter.

My preparation for visiting Loyola included looking more closely at how our community has grown since Raima Larter started it three years ago. We continue to grow and receive grateful comments from people who participate in praying the Daily Office. I'm also delighted by the proliferation of other individuals and groups using social media to pray.

These factors, plus participating in the ongoing online conversation about what it means to be "church, " inspired me to create this contemporary take on St. Teresa of Avila's well-known prayer, "Christ Has No Body." Let us pray:


Christ Has No Online Presence but Yours

Christ has no online presence but yours,
No blog, no Facebook page but yours,

Yours are the tweets through which
love touches this world,
Yours are the posts through which
the Gospel is shared,
Yours are the updates through which
hope is revealed.
Christ has no online presence but yours,

No blog, no Facebook page but yours.




6 comments:

Raima said...

Meredith, this is so wonderful. Thank you! I love Teresa's original version, too, and decided to copy it here into my comment:

Christ has no body now on earth but yours,

no hands but yours,

no feet but yours,

yours are the eyes through which Christ's compassion is to look out to the earth,

yours are the feet by which He is to go about doing good

and yours are the hands by which He is to bless us now.

#PBWY!

Sue said...

Meredith,

I love your adaptation... what a great reminder that we are constantly in service not only to God but to one another, as answers to one another's prayers.... and just as there are heavenly angels bringing messages from God, there are we who are earthly angels, being used to bring a needed message to someone through our blogs, our Facebook and twitter accounts, being Christ's presence here and now as needed. It is such a responsibility and such an honor to serve God!

LindaLou said...

I am one of the Abbey's followers and it has brought such solace to my soul by praying with other believers. Thank you for your wonderful prayers!
Linda

Jan Blencowe said...

I have been blessed to pray with The Virtual Abbey on Twitter for a couple of years now. It has become an important part of the rhythm of my day.

I love this adaptation of the prayer and in the spirit of the prayer I have shared this blog post on my facebook page and via twitter!

deodate said...

I agree Meredith. We have been incorporating all sorts of media in our religious ed programs and the kids have responded really well. Even did a powerpoint meditation for a parent meeting this past weekend. Next year we'll put lots of our 'stuff' online for the kids.
Andie

Meredith Gould said...

Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful comments. Being able to participate in the growth and development of The Virtual Abbey has been such a great blessing and privilege, I simply laugh when the Fail Whale shows up! #PBWY