November 18, 2010

Poem and Prayer #4: Stanley Moss

Within some religious traditions, November is set aside as a month to honor our dear departed (All Souls). How perfect then, that Martin Dickinson (@dickinsonpoet) should choose this poem for our consideration and contemplation. Note, too, his wonderful explanation about the origin of poetry.

We’re already at Poem and Prayer # 4 and haven’t really talked about the connection between poetry and prayer, although I’ve shared a poems that resemble prayer or even invite readers to pray.

So many things can be poetry, it’s hard to say exactly what a poem is. One definition (my favorite!) is the one Emily Dickinson gave in 1870 to her literary mentor, the abolitionist Unitarian minister Thomas Wentworth Higginson:

“If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry. These are the only ways I know it. Is there any other way?” 

Passion, the ability to move us greatly and to surprise—that’s Dickinson, alright, who surely has written her share of prayerful poems (1538 “The Savior must have been/ A docile Gentleman,” just to mention one).
I think we associate poem and prayer so closely because they both start from the the heart. Poetry begins with talking to oneself. Doesn’t each one of us have an inner voice we use to carry on a private inner conversation? The poet shapes that inner voice of the heart and brings it out into the world. In prayer, the voice is directed to (or in praise of) the divine. 

If you listen carefully to poetry, you’ll often hear a voice that’s close to the voice you hear in Psalms: “Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over (23:5).” 

We hear the echo of that voice, for example, in the poetry of Stanley Moss. Listen to Moss’s “You and I,” which imitates a 13th Century Hebrew poem and appears in A History of Color and New & Selected Poems (2006).


You and I

You are Jehovah, and I am a wanderer.

Who should have mercy on a wanderer

if not Jehovah? You create and I decay.

Who should have mercy on the decayed

if not the creator? You are the Judge

and I the guilty. Who should have mercy

on the guilty if not the Judge? You are All

and I am a particle. Who should have mercy

on a particle if not the All?

You are the Living One and I am dead.

Who should have mercy on the dead if not

the Living One? You are the Painter and Potter

and I am clay. Who should have mercy on clay

if not the Painter and Potter? You are the Fire

and I am straw Who should have mercy on straw

if not the Fire? You are the Listener

and I am the reader. Who should have mercy

on the reader if not the Listener? You

are the Beginning and I am what follows.

Who should have mercy on what follows

if not the Beginning? You are the End and I am

what follows. Who should have mercy

on what follows if not the End?


Stanley Moss, after an anonymous 13th c. Hebrew poem

3 comments:

deodate said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that, I had never seen it before. Very powerful. I agree with you, poetry comes from the heart, and so does prayer. Poetry gives us so many images. This Moss prayer poem is one that I will definately keep..thanks.
Andie

Debra.Waites said...

Thoroughly appreciate this prayerful poem/poetic prayer. Deb

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron