May 3, 2010

Image as Insight: What's Yours?

This week, Baya Clare, a Sister of St. Joseph of Carondelet invites us to contemplate two beautiful images.


This week I'm going to fill up your senses with two beautiful illuminations. Again, I'm not going to say much about their origins until next time. I want you to get to know these works on their own terms, unburdened as much as possible by what our culture might tell us to think and feel about them.

What I will say is that one is about the creation of the world. The subject of the other is Leviticus 19. The latter seems like something we especially need to be reminded of at this time.

I encourage you to spend time meditating on these two images. Do you like them? What do they open up in you? How do you feel?

Try making them your prayer this week.

4 comments:

claire said...

Ah, Baya, I love these works of art. I recognize their origin and have been thinking for a while now about purchasing one of them they are so beautiful.

Thank you for this gift: To pray with them.
What a treat.

Thank you.

Janet L. Bohren said...

I made both images larger on my screen (I have a vision pb of seeing details). The first is wonderful depiction of the first chapter of Genesis -- as I worked my way up and down the strips, I saw more and more detail the artist had put in the image -- perhaps working ones way up and down the words of the first chp. Gen. has the same effect, but the image is more powerful. The second image I blew up to see the words. Once I saw the words I could see them in the small image -- does understanding lead to clarity of vision/thought? I think so. These are beautiful thought provoking images. Thanks for sharing.

Meredith Gould said...

Great idea, Janet! Even without seeing the detail in Genesis, I've been gazing at this image ever since Baya sent it over. Looks like glorious fabric, which then moves my wandering mind over to Joseph and his cloak and then to Jesus and his seamless cloak and then to what I'm doing (or not) to live a life of seamlessness and integrity. Ah, what meditating on/with art can do.

Dan Webster said...

Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo. Virtually all the food we eat passes through brown hands somewhere along the food chain. I'm grateful for the artistic reminder of Leviticus 19. There are many other reminders in the Hebrew scriptures of how we should treat the alien in the land. Remind your friends or post a verse on the facebook hate sites or post a link to this TVA article. God is waiting.