February 5, 2010

Wherever I Go, There I Am!

Meredith Gould, editor of this blog, writes about the spirituality of everyday life and takes good-natured swipes at church-the-institution at her personal blog, More Meredith Gould.

Any lingering doubts I may have had about the congruence between virtual and so-called real life in the context of faith? Pretty much gone.

These days, I seem to move seamlessly between church-the-building and praying with my online community. I hoped* this would happen and thankfully, it has.

Praying the Daily Office on Twitter with @Virtual_Abbey has revealed other truths, truths deeper and durable, truths that have become spiritual axioms and, on occasion, t-shirt slogans. More specifically, I'm thinking about the aphorism: Wherever you go, there you are.

In my case, durable self plays out as a personal piety that transcends time and place. In other words, whatever I tend to do in church-the-building, I tend to do online. For one thing, I'm often late for prayer. Even if I'm early for Compline, hard not to be since Tweetdeck is almost always open, I'll nevertheless be late.

I engage in multi-tasking ─ spiritual and otherwise. In church-the-building, I'm busy during prayer. Sometimes, I'm sacred busy gazing at the cross, reading along in the missal, kneeling without bitching (audibly) about kneeling. Sometimes, I'm secular busy gazing at someone's outfit, sneaking a peek at my shopping list, bitching (silently) about kneeling. I'm not quite ready to confess all of what I do while tweeting prayer, other than to note tweezers are sometimes involved.

Horsing around seems to be part of my genome. I've been known, in church-the-building, to poke the person next to me during special moments. Years ago, a choir mate and I had such a profound case of Vulcan mind meld that we couldn't even look at one another during worship. This rambunctiousness or joie de Spiritus continues @Virtual_Abbey. How? Direct messages to others who are praying. Side conversations with those who are not.

After spending probably too much time debating (with myself) whether this is a good thing, I've decided to cut myself a break and embrace this spiritual reality: wherever I go, there I am.

*"For I hope in You, O Lord; You will answer, O Lord my God" (Psalm 38:15, NAS)

4 comments:

Raima said...

I can vouch for the fact that Meredith passes notes (i.e. DMs) during prayer - even to the prayer leader! It's a habit she has that I personally find quite endearing.

We are SO pleased to have her as a faithful Abbey member and our fantastic blog editor!!!

Meredith Gould said...

Thanks, Raima, although I don't think I quite achieved my goal of having you laugh hard enough for tea to stream through your nose.

Raima said...

Well, maybe not when you sent those DMs during Compline, but you did it just now. LOLOL!

Elizabeth Cunningham said...

Dear SWGOTU, we wouldn't want you to be any other way! I am confident that every member of the Trinity agrees!